The Difference A Good Lawyer Can Make

Legal Issues That May Arise After Dissolving Your Marriage And The Measures To Take

If the marriage dissolution process takes too long to finalize, you could end up spending a significant amount of time and cash. For this reason, it would be your wish that your ex-spouse complies with all the agreements so that you don't have to go back to court soon. Unfortunately, some legal issues might arise, sparking another court battle with your partner. Therefore, it's advisable to consult a lawyer when contentious issues emerge. They will advise you and recommend the best solutions. Read on to learn possible contentions in a divorce.

Request for Agreements Modifications

Situations may change several months and years after your divorce, and your partner might request a modification of some of the divorce agreements. For example, they may ask the court to amend the child custody agreement or alimony payment orders. Although courts do not encourage partners to amend payment and custody agreements, they grant modification requests under certain circumstances. For instance, they might approve a modification if your partner has lost their job after relocation or remarriage. A modification might also be necessary if you suffer a serious illness or the children's needs or preferences change.

Unfortunately, your ex-spouse might present false information to get a modification on a specific issue illegally. For instance, they can posit that they have lost their job to convince the court to stop their child custody payments. In such a case, you may want to enlist the services of a divorce lawyer to investigate your partner and determine whether their request is genuine.

Enforcement Actions

You and your partner must comply with all court orders. Failing to honor the agreements is illegal, and you can file a case in court to compel your partner to do what the court had instructed. For example, if your partner makes a fraction of alimony or child support payments instead of the full amount, you can seek enforcement orders in court. You may also consider taking legal action against them for illegally retaining assets or providing false financial information so as to pay less child support or spousal payments.

Your lawyer can file the claim and represent you in court to convince the judge that you desperately need the payments. The judge will issue fresh orders instructing your ex-spouse to make the payments immediately. However, if they continue defying the rulings, the jury might suspend their license. They might also ask them to pay fines or jail them, depending on the severity of their crime.

The issues above might start another legal battle with your partner even after finalizing your divorce. The best way to deal with them is by hiring a divorce attorney to represent you in your case.